Thursday, July 14, 2011

Water Wait..Whoops!


Tuesday morning of July 12 2011, the front desk of the doctor’s office calls to let me know I will need to drink FOUR glasses of water an hour before my visit tomorrow morning.  My jaw dropped when she told me that.  There is no way on God's green earth I can:

A) Drink that much water   B) Hold it for an hour (my bladder is about the size of a pea- I drink a few sips and I have to run to the loo.)  And let’s not forget the real issue.. C) They weigh me every time I am there.  Do they really expect me to step on a scale and let them note my weight while I have 4 glasses of water inside me?  Heck, they keep it 30 degrees in that office and yet I still wear the lightest sundress possible and flip flops as not to add any extra weight to the scale.  This lady is of her rocker if she thinks I'm stepping on it with a full bladder!

After serious thought (of about 15 seconds) I decided, once again, that I know my body better than the front desk lady. I devised a plan in which I will  drink the water 30 minutes before I see the doctor..an hour is just uncalled for. Well,  we all know once you get there, there is a 30 minute minimum waiting time.  This meant, I didn’t need to drink the water until I was leaving for the doctor’s office! It's a perfect win-win for all of us! I don’t have to be miserable and worried I may have an accident on the doctor office floor and the ultra sound tech gets the full bladder she requested.  

Did this happen??  Well....


Wednesday morning arrives. I drink my water as I’m walking out the door.  We arrive as I am finish my water; we wait 30 minutes (just as I predicted).  We go into the ultrasound room, I kind of have "the urge" but it’s not bad.  I have figured this system out!  I get to see my baby and my bladder doesn't feel like Mount Rushmore.  The ultra sound tech squirts the warm gel on my stomach (which is the only warm thing about that doctor’s office..I say this as I go willing into the frigid doctor’s office with a sleeveless linen sundress on). The tech starts pushing down on my belly with a force I was sure to squish my Pop Kern.  After a bit of difficulty finding a good picture she asks (in voice similar to that of a teacher catching a student cheating) "When did finish drinking your water?"  I reply confidently "Umm..about 30 minutes ago."  She immediately puts her magic baby wand away and tells me to sit in the waiting room for 20 minutes.  Wait..Did I just get put in Mommy time-out??  To make matters worse, after all the pushing she did, I seriously have to pee.  I cant believe she is going to make me weight another 20 minutes! Not fair! After all that planning, devising and calculating on my end..I still had to sit in the cold doctor’s office worrying about soiling their carpet for 20 minutes.  Awesome London- Great Job.  Needless to say, this was the longest wait to date.

 She finally came back and summoned us back to the ultra sound room.  I did notice she made me wait longer than 20 minutes. I bet she was in her office laughing evilly while watching me squirm uncomfortably. Once she had her fill she decided to let me out of my misery.  We settled back into position with the gel and the magic baby wand to watch our little Pop Kern on the big screen. And do you know what?  During the “movie” using the restroom was the furthest thing from my mind.  I could have watched our little one squirm and play around in my belly all day.  We saw 2 hands, 2 feet, facial profiles (such a cute nose) and heard the heart beat (165 bpm). 

Mommy time-out worked like a charm.  Next time I will do as the front lady tells me and drink my water earlier. 

Oh, and just so you know- they weigh you after the ultra sound and bathroom break at this appointment.  :)


1 comment:

  1. That's funny! I was the same way. The nurses finally figured it out that I was going to use the bathroom before I got on the scale :)

    ReplyDelete